Monday, April 21, 2008

A stylistic dilemma

I'm new to blogging, but I realize we bloggers try to shield our families from the vast amount of publicity that will suddenly descend upon them following the clamor of world-wide attention attracted by the amazing, scintillating discourse that is the Sole and Total Creation of Yours Truly.

And why would we not? Our families should live normal lives, unmolested by the curious fans and paparazzis, and - although I know the demands of celebrity is something that I must bear - I am dedicated to protecting my Loved Ones from the tribulations of Fame that (I anticipate in the next few months) will attend me.

With that in mind, I've come up with pseudonyms for My Mom, my siblings (Brother One, Brother Two, and Brother Three) and My Son - but I am a little troubled about what to call my husband.

He is an enthusiastic reader of this blog, so I don't want to offend him with something flip and dismissive. But nor do I want to misrepresent him - I tried something that referred to his profession, but he didn't like that. His suggestion was that I refer to him as My Lord And Master - but that just seemed wrong to me. Plus it was a pain to type. In the post just previous, I have put in a placeholder for him, [The Man I Love], but that's actually a lot of trouble to set up each time.

So - I'm looking for some good advice on how to refer to one's spouse anonymously. Suggestions appreciated.

P.S. - that's his elbow there, just next to the margarita, in the post below.

3 comments:

Kathy Rogers said...

Some people use initials. Some people have cute nicknames. Some just use (gasp) real names. I call mine "TMotH" for The Man of the House. I've been doing it so long that I pronounce it "tee-moth" in my head when I write about him.

I like The Man I Love. Or TMIL.

Or maybe instead of My Lord and Master, he could be "My Devoted Subject."

Texasholly said...

My suggestion is to make it short! I call my dearest blog-Stedman which is eight characters bigger then his actual name...ugh.

M. Bouffant said...

"Insignificant other" works for me.
Or would if I had one.