Friday, February 27, 2009

Thematic Photographic - Winter


"Winter is nature's way of saying, 'Up yours.'" - Robert Byrne

This is Venice Beach, in January, with the fog obscuring the ocean, and a damp chill in the air. There aren't many people visiting the vendors on Ocean Front Walk, and you can hear the sharp impacts, slaps, and clatter as the skateboards flip and turn and crack against the concrete of the park benches and pavement south of where the old Pavilion used to be.

This skater has come in from the cold wind at the beach, to the shelter of the old cast-iron colonnades by Big Daddy's food shack.

7 comments:

KG said...

Cold?! BWAHAHAHAHA.

Wait, Venice Beach? Cold?!?

BWAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry - I just had to get that off my chest. It looks like it's not too bad to me ... except for the damp part. I DO think that damp cold feels a lot colder than those crisp, clear dry cold days.

Glennis said...

Yeah, Tranny-head, it can get damn cold when the fog comes in.

Glennis said...

But we are wimps here, it's true

JCK said...

I haven't been to Venice Beach in a long time. Always fun for people watching.

carmilevy said...

I'd give my eye teeth to be right there. Anywhere where water meets land is a magical place for me, but there's something especially appealing about being there out of season. The place takes on a whole new tone when the throngs are gone - and you've captured it so vividly in your photos and words. Wonderful stuff.

I love your perspective on winter - I was hoping folks wouldn't see it strictly as a snow thing.

Woman in a Window said...

I bet the boarders are happy though, to have that area to themselves. They're probably saddened to see all the happy, dopey flip-flopped people crawl out in the heat.

Queenly Things said...

Pretty sure I had dinner right across the street