Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Froggie

Photo courtesy Karen Sherwood

My friend Karen sent me this photo of a California Tree Frog, pseudacris cadaverina. They are native to Topanga. She took this photo in her garden. He's sitting in a dried leaf from our native Coast Live Oaks. You can click on the photo and enlarge it to see his detail.

To give you an idea how tiny he is, here's an oak leaf next to an acorn.

Here's a picture of one I took last year, at the Topanga 10K breakfast, found by a young girl.

These tiny frogs are only one inch long - but boy can they sing! They live in the little streams and cool springs and rocky hollows that still retain a bit of moisture or standing water. And at night they sing! When they sing they blow up their bulbous throats like bubbles.

At night we hear these tiny singers ringing through the canyon.

If you want to hear what they sound like, go Here and click on the audio clips.

10 comments:

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

Great voices those little guys have. I want a few in my yard.

We have some toads in our yard but they do not sing.

180360 said...

That's amazing! We used to have native frogs/toads? at my old house but none at this one. I regularly entertain the idea of buying some for our garden but don't know where to get them!

mo.stoneskin said...

What a great little guy. I used to love playing with frogs when I was a kid. Now? Not so much...

cactus petunia said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Such a big voice for such a tiny frog! (Thank you for providing the link!)
I miss hearing frogs. We heard them every spring at our last home, but here we only occasionally hear some peepers.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I adore frogs---put them on all kinds a pots...

Liz Harrell said...

That is my favorite sound in the world. And it's amazing to me that such a huge, beautiful sound can come from something so tiny!

I need a tape of these guys to fall asleep to. :)

Whiskeymarie said...

I'm not crazy about big, warty toads, but teeny little froggies like this are awesome. I don't see any that small around here, but we do have a lot that are in the 1-3" range.

Beverly said...

Whoa, they are do tiny. We had a lot of tree frogs in South Florida, but they were a bit larger.

Sweetly said...

Haha! How cool. Don't know if I've even seen a frog that small. ^_^
-Sweetly