Sunday, November 8, 2009

Foggy morning

Jack and I took a walk through the park on a foggy morning. We crossed the road and went through the gate, and took the path up the hill.

He'd never been there before, and he was excited - the smells were different from being on the paved streets. Coyote poop, owl pellets, horse manure. Birds in the brush and rabbits hopping away fast.

The trees and grasses closed in over the path, and the dew dripped down on us. The path narrowed and doubled back on itself, ascending by railroad-tie framed steps. Some of summer's flowers still shone, dried and gone to seed.

You know how they talk about sagebrush in western landscapes? This is black sage, and it grows in the hills here. When you brush past the leaves on a foggy morning you can smell the fresh scent.

We looped through the trees, then up the hill, and emerged at the top of the rise, overlooking our neighborhood, and then we went home. We were both ready for a good breakfast.

8 comments:

Jodi Anderson said...

Thanks for taking me along on your walk. :)

I love to walk/hike with my husband. I also love to see other people's treks, so this was especially fulfilling.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I ran across some very nice smelling plants on my trip to N.M.

Seems long ago now.

P.S. I saw this title and thought "froggy mourning? Oh no!"
~

shrink on the couch said...

Is that Heathcliff and Catherine on the moor?

Gilly said...

That looks a lovely walk - so different from ours around here!

That pretty daisy looks like as tiny erigeron k*** (can't remember the second bit!) that I used to grow. Very pretty in the summer.

We had our first fog this morning, but its gone now and the sun is out!

KBeau said...

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing your morning walk.

Sue said...

Jack is good for you! It looks like a great place to walk. Sue

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I LOVE Jack. Any snakes up in those hills? *shiver*
Btw, had to move my blog, ran out of memory
http://garysthirdpotteryblog.blogspot.com/

cactus petunia said...

Thanks...I remember the scentl of the sage and the dust and the fog. It smells dry and musty and kind of soapy all at the same time. It's been raining here for days, and everything smells like wet green grass and soggy leaves. Kinda makes me miss that desert landscape.