Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Thematic Photographic - Different

Each week Carmi at Written, Inc. has challenged readers with a theme for photographic inspiration. This week the photographic challenge continues with the theme DIFFERENT.

If you're driving down 8th Street in Koreatown, Los Angeles, you might see this large vertical sign with a picture of a grasshopper on it.

What's this all about?


If you're looking for something different, you can stop in here, at this Oaxacan market. They sell chapulines, a delicacy served as a snack or appetizer. The chapulines are toasted on a hot griddle, and seasoned with garlic, salt and lemon.

Some people pop them in their mouths like snacks, and crunch away. Others wrap them in tortillas. How do I like them?


Jeez, people! Are you kidding? Me, eat grasshoppers? Nuh uh!

8 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

Mmm, I'll bet they are the perfect crunchy snack.

Beverly said...

Yep, I knew they were grasshoppers. And, I'm not going to eat them, either.

Nope, not me. ;-)

Sue said...

I'm not that hungry!

Sue

Gilly said...

Nope. Don't fancy grasshoppers, either. At least the sign is quite clear though!

Tristan Robin said...

I remember when I was a teenager there was a fad for chocolate covered insects ... I remember having chocolate covered grasshoppers. Actually, they were fairly tasteless and crisp ... like a very cheap wafer. I preferred the chocolate covered bumble bees.

Anonymous said...

They taste a little like Baco-bits. I had them in tacos with green salsa - the green salsa seemed appropriate.

Vallen said...

That was me up there being anonymous. Sorry

SUEB0B said...

As soon as I saw the picture sign, I knew what was up.

Chapulines are pretty good. Salty and crunchy. But the smell of them cooking makes me gag a bit, and when I was in Oaxaca, I could ALWAYS tell if a lady in the market had a tray of chapulines behind me. They have quite a distinct odor.

In the markets, it was always the same - a tiny lady with a red painted wooden tray heaped with chapulines. They would measure them out from a little bowl into a plastic bag. At first, I thought they were a novelty item, but people in Oaxaca eat them like we eat potato chips.