Friday, May 14, 2010

Skunk


Tonight after a long and hectic week, I was getting into my pajamas in the bedroom, and noticed that I could hear all the dogs in the neighborhood barking.

We're packing and getting ready to go on a trip, so tonight Jack is spending his first night at doggie sleepover camp. So he isn't here to react to whatever it was that was making all the dogs in the neighborhood go off.

From the living room couch, [The Man I Love] asked, "Am I imagining it, or do I smell something weird, like skunk?"

"I don't smell anything," I said.

And then I walked into the bedroom, past the open windows. Ewww. Skunk. If you've ever smelled it, you recognize it.

Skunk photo from Wikipedia

"Um, yeah. It's like outside. All the dogs are barking."

I came back out in the living room and opened the door to the deck.

The unmistakable burnt-tire funky skunk smell wafted in. It's out there!

Something must have happened. Someone's dog must have gotten sprayed. Something nearby. Phewwwww!!!!

I'm glad Jack wasn't around to get in trouble.

9 comments:

M. Bouffant said...

Is the misty valley pic at the top yours? Very nice.

Gilly said...

And I'm heartily glad we don't have skunks in the UK!!

Ash said...

what a handsome dog!

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi bellissima la foto n.1, peccato che non si possa vedere piĆ¹ da vicino.
Bellissimo Jake !!!
Buona giornata :-)

Tristan Robin said...

ugh

my former dog (a Weimaraner) used to search out dead skunks and ROLL IN THEM.

I have given more damn tomato juice and lemon baths over the years LOL

Thank heavens now we live in the city - the worst my little dog now can do is roll in a dead comics section of the SUnday paper.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

And I'm heartily glad we don't have skunks in the UK!!

One of my co-workers is a London boy, transplanted to New York. When he was new to the area, he wanted to see how far he could go before a skunk sprayed... the older ones are typically laid back, so he didn't get sprayed (he also didn't push things too hard).

We have a bunch on the job site- last week a skunk and I had a mutual "Oh, crap!" moment, as it and I got VERY close before we were aware of each other.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I've only encountered skunks when I was a kid and I had a job working in a pet store.

They had the scent glands removed, were pretty cute, and very interested in getting as fat as they could.
~

MAYBELLINE said...

What would you have done if Jack had been hit? Horrors. That stuff is bad news.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I've had a close call before and it makes me shudder to think about it!
I'm glad Jack was safe ...and therefore, so were you!

Enjoy your trip! :)