Monday, March 14, 2011

Weighing In

If you don't get out and walk, you'll miss the blooming jasmine.

I've completed the first week of a return to Weight Watchers. I weighed myself this morning and I've lost 1.8 pounds.

What are the biggest changes I've made over the week? Well, there's two that stand out.


Bunnies eat veggies
First - although I often think of myself as having a pretty good diet, I realize now that I was not eating enough vegetables and fruit. Weight Watchers recommends at least five servings per day. With prompting from their plan, I've added these back in. Sometimes it's as simple as tossing a tangerine into my purse for an afternoon snack. I've started a morning routine of making carrot and celery sticks for my lunch. I've tried to add vegetables back into my dinner - in recent months it had just felt like too much trouble.

Second - I walk the dog every day. But in the past, especially with a cold and wet winter, my dog-walking has been ....shall we say...."results oriented." That is, I've only spent as much time as it takes for Jack to do his business. This week, I've returned to the idea that the walk should last a certain amount of time, and should cover a certain distance. I'm walking a mile each morning, with some serious uphill work. I'm planning to extend that to 1.6 miles next.

Because I did this before, it's easy to fall back into some good habits I learned the first time around. I know, for instance, that oatmeal for breakfast fills me up and keeps me from getting too hungry mid-morning. I know that protein for lunch - meat, egg, or fish - fills me up more than salads. Sushi is a great Weight-Watchers lunch, because it's protein and low in points. I know that soup is hot, satisfying, and almost zero points. It's good to remember the list of low-points snacks that help slake the mid-afternoon hunger - mini pretzels, low-fat string cheese, Ry-Krisp crackers, and frozen peas!

I remembered how you can plan for a little indulgence by taking an extra walk to earn more activity points.

I also recognize the bad habits I fell into, like indulging in that bowl of M&Ms on the reception desk! Just deciding to not have cheese on my sandwich makes a big difference.

C'mon, let's go for a walk!

Right now I'm feeling pretty good about this. I don't know how long I'll feel this way, but my plan is to try to stay on it until at least June, when we are going to travel to London to see our son.

4 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I have found it so do-able. I'm hoping to hit -35 this Saturday.

I keep a bag of dried apricots and one of roasted almonds in my purse. 3 dried apricots and 2 almonds is 1 point. It doesn't sound like much, but it really does tide you over.

Keep up the good work!

Beverly said...

Glennis, I guess I am the world's worst for visiting, but what can I say. My job owns me.

I do want to let you know how much I miss seeing you for Pink Saturday. You need to get out and find some pink to share.

And, good for you on your eating changes. I need to jump on that wagon with you.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I've tried to add vegetables back into my dinner - in recent months it had just felt like too much trouble.

I've gotten into the habit of preparing bunches of vegetables at one time, to be thrown into dishes throughout the week. Say what you may about Rachel Ray, but her advice to wash vegetables when you return from the market is spot on.

Not that I watch RR...

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Even small changes add up. I've been roasting almonds and snacking on them instead of reaching for other foods.
We won't discuss the tube of G.S. Thin Mints that disappeared yesterday. (I haven't been able to give up stress eating yet, and I have a lot of stress right now.)