Friday, July 22, 2011

Staying cool

6:57 pm
 I realize there's a terrible heat wave over most of the country.

7:00pm

But here in coastal Los Angeles County, we're having a cooler than usual time. In a way, it's an extension of our usual June Gloom. Mornings are cool enough to need a sweater to walk the dog. When I drive to work down the canyon, I descend into fog and sometimes even have to use the wipers to clear the mist from my windshield.

7:03pm
Evening brings the coastal fog up through the canyon. Last night I captured its movement with my camera.

7:05pm
It rushes up the canyon till it hits the Ridge, then it piles up and spills uphill into our neighborhood.


You can watch it in real time.

5 comments:

cactus petunia said...

I love watching the fog roll in! You're so lucky to have such a gorgeous view.
Here in Oregon we seem to be experiencing an extension of what the locals call "Juneuary"...gloomy, cool, wet days with just enough sunshine to get our hopes up that summer is coming... No hope for ripe garden tomatoes this year, I'm afraid!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I'm officially envious... when I have a bad hair day, it's B-A-D out.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

The fog crept in on little cat feet (I love that line).

It was 86 degrees and 70% humidity in Columbus...last night at 11 P.M.

That's bad.
~

Gary's third pottery blog said...

oh so gorgeous!

Max Sartin said...

Wow, those are some cool fog pictures. Salt Lake has been pretty cool this summer too, I don't think we've broken 100 more than a couple times, and in the evening I just need to blow the outside air through without the cooler on and it's perfect. Quite cool for the latter part of July.
But no beautiful fog like you have.