Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Vernacular cat art post

My friend Heather is the proud owner of a folk-art painting of a cat. This painting has been the subject of much critical discussion in her family and circle of friends. Heather maintains it's a masterpiece of American Vernacular Art. Her husband disagrees.

But I have to thank Heather for creating, in our bloggy circles, a new category of art - Vernacular Cat Art. During my travels, I've been on the lookout for examples, and so I proudly present to you this wonderful piece.

It is a piece of fabric taken from the fuselage of a French World War I fighter plane from 1914. It is part of the collection in the Musee de la Vie Bourguignonne Perrin de Peycousin, in Dijon, France.

11 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Nice Kitty!
~

materfamilias said...

There are some wonderful examples on the various walls of Paris -- did you find some while you were there? There's a gorgeously grinning chat in the 7th. . . .I have a photo of it here: http://materfamiliasreads.blogspot.ca/2009/04/muriel-barberys-elegance-of-hedgehog.html

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I dig it!

Alexia said...

I think it's splendid - and I have to say, it's muchbetter than Mrs G's blue-eyed Siamese paint-by-numbers. This is actually art!

Mrs. G. said...

It's wonderful!

Glennis said...

Aw, don't be mean on Mrs. G's Siamese cat!! ;-)

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I'm all for adding to the collection of Vernacular Cat Art.

Gilly said...

Its wonderful! And a very FRENCH cat!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I love this!!!!

cardinal said...

This is my kind of Kitty Gigantica. I think it's the eyes of Mrs. G's cat that make me nervous.

smalltownme said...

I'm going to volunteer to curate our online cat art museum as I seem to have the most ... how shall I put it? The most cat stuff.