Thursday, December 13, 2012

Adventures in job-hunting - the irony


One irony of my job hunting situation is that I am actually in the process of recruiting, interviewing and hiring staff myself!

Because my colleague secured a transfer position and left our office, I have been involved with filling her vacant position with someone from the pool of temporary, or "as-needed" staff maintained by our organization.

I interviewed someone today who truly impressed me with her interview skills. She was everything the advice columnists tell you to be. Dressed above the position she sought - she wore a suit.  She spoke about her skill set, how it fit the job, and with each questions she managed to bring these points up and emphasize them again. She was calm and confident, and she took her time answering the questions.

What I am beginning to realize is that the pool of temporary staff spends a lot of time honing not only their work skills, but their skills at presenting themselves to potential employers - they have to do it so frequently.

We have a few more things to check out before we make a decision, but I started to think that if we hired this candidate and I began to train her, maybe I'd ask her to train me in the skill of interviewing for a job!

1 comment:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Good luck to both of you, Aunt Snow.
~