Thursday, September 5, 2013

Weekend update


Because it is my weekend; my new job works a 9/80 schedule, which means working 9 days over a 2 week period for 80 hours. It's 9 hours a day Monday through Thursday, and eight hours on every other Friday.

So tomorrow is my Friday Off!

But this isn't a time for goofing off, I've got some serious things happening.  

My task for the weekend is a messy and yet familiar one - the raccoons have attacked our fishpond. This time, they've managed to snag the pump hose out of the fountain and cause it to spray over the edge of the pond. On two different mornings, we've awakened to a green, slimy, stinking pond, with only a few inches of water remaining.  The first time, after I plugged the hose back and re-filled the pond, I could see the goldfish cautiously swimming in their new water. This second time, I can't see any fish. They are either hiding or the bastards got them.

With my work schedule and everything else, I've had to let the pond just sit. So tomorrow, I will refit the system and try to craft some kind of raccoon-proof protection. And buy new fish.

And, mind you, it's over 100 degrees during the day. A fishpond full of slimey stuff smells pretty high in that heat.

Stay cool, people. And avoid green slime if you can.

4 comments:

SUEB0B said...

Raccoons are evil!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

So the raccoons drained the pond to get the goldfish?

THOSE BASTARDS!
~

smalltownme said...

Many years ago we tried to have a tadpole pond (after our sons brought home tadpoles from the river) but the raccoons got into it the first night.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

We fought the raccoons when we had a pond 8 years ago. The raccoons won.
I wish you success!