Friday, March 14, 2014

Spring flowers



Last weekend, the monster wisteria growing over our shade structure burst into bloom. Over the week's time, it has burgeoned further, huge lavender racemes of flower dripping down. The vine masses over the structure's roof and twines onto our deck railings.


Its rampant stems wrap through the branches of our jacaranda tree - the wisteria blooms are the same color as the blooms that will grace the jacaranda in two more months.

In the house, the air is filled with the scent of blooming wisteria.


This morning the ocean mist filled the canyon, while the sun pinkened the sky.

6 comments:

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Since it's my schtick, here's where I note that some varieties of Wisteria have edible flowers. I also have to plug the Wisteria at Washington Irving's Sunnyside as the finest I've ever seen.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

That is one amazing Wisteria!

MAYBELLINE said...

Same here. Wisteria is going great.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Beautiful!
~

smalltownme said...

I love your wisteria! Mine is jealous and wishes my husband would quit hacking it back.

cactus petunia said...

How beautiful! I'm afraid to plant one, though…here they grow to ridiculous proportions in a season, pulling down fences and porch supports. I'll admire them from afar and stick with my clematis vines.